View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Pregnancy/Baby Bump Photoshoot 
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Pregnancy/Baby Bump Photoshoot
I have a baby bump shoot coming up and thought it would be nice to share this with the IFP3 comunity....

This is an example of what I would like to try and capture during the session...

So... does anyone have any ideas & suggestions on baby bump composition and lighting techniques?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:51 am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Re: Pregnancy/Baby Bump Photoshoot
Nick,

First, you need to get the model pregnant. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously folks. Looks like they have some sort of spotlight between the model and the backdrop to put a halo on the backdrop around the model's midsection. Then it looks like the flash / lighting is coming from the photographers left at an angle.

But then again, I don't do much studio work.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Meinke-Photography/260980793916774?sk=wall

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:36 am
Profile WWW
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bill, I knew I was forgetting something! "Message to self... spare battery... check... SD card... check... camera... check... Pregnate model... urm..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside thanks Bill for your suggestion of lighting... I haven't done any studio work so this will be a huge learning curve for me... Luckily I have a 7d with the capabilities of the multiple wireless flash trigger plus I have two flashguns so it will be interesting to see what I can come up with!

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:25 am

Hey Bill, great suggestions as always :mrgreen:

Nick:

You will probably need a softbox or two to cast very soft light on the model. Even a single softbox and a reflector sometimes works wonders. Stay about 10 feet away from the backdrop. If you want a completely black blackground, use a black (or dark) backdrop, but make sure you keep a good distance between the model and the backdrop to prevent any light from illuminating the backdrop. Wash the model with light, but keep it off the backdrop. Even a white background can appear black if left in shadow.

If you want to focus on the belly area, a snoot for your speedlight flash is a cheap way to get good results. Using the flash off camera can help you light just the torso, which is, of course, the focus of maternity photos. Take a look at Gary Fong's "Power Snoot" (60 bucks) http://www.garyfongestore.com/flash-acc ... snoot.html

Honestly, it's rather cheap chrome plated plastic, but it does work. You may be able to find a knockoff for a lot cheaper like on eBay or similar. Gary's stuff works, and the ideas are good, but I think the prices are a little out of sight for something made of molded plastic.

Let us know how it goes! (The photography part that is).

Capture every moment!
http://www.jayscottwood.com

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

I prefer to shoot with natural light and with a couple of locations in mind either early in the day or closer to sunset to capture the best light possible.

Sat May 11, 2013 3:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]